Ode to Solo Moms


Being a mother is hard. Being a father is hard. But being both a mother and a father is another distinct and backbreaking story. I may not have a child of my own just yet but I've witnessed enough to learn the bittersweet struggles of single parenthood. As much as I don't want to sound sexist but single moms simply have a special place in my heart.  

Just recently, I was able to attend a graduation ceremony for grade-schoolers. As I turned my gaze upon the rows of proud parents, with their tablets raised in the air to take photos and block the view of the others, I can't help but notice the mothers who sat by themselves as the program went on. This was an important milestone for them as much as it is for their children. Raising kids to be responsible educated citizens, sometimes with little to no support from anyone, is no easy feat. There are also times wherein they need to put up with the scrutinizing eyes of the conservative public. They may be questioned and frowned upon by those who do not understand, because of a distant mistake, for one reason or another, but single moms still see their children not as an embodiment of a regret but a symbol of strength and empowerment. Seeing the eyes of a single mom, gleaming with pride and joy as her child gets his diploma, is nothing less than priceless.

I salute mothers around the world on this very special day and I bow, curtsy and raise a glass to all the single moms who don't give a damn about what other people think. You simply prove that love, through life's ups and downs, especially for your children, can make you break molds and move boundaries. Your children will be eternally grateful to you for setting aside your own happiness just to prioritize their safety and well-being.

Happy mother's day to all you superwomen. The fathers may be the ones who build the houses but we thank you, mothers, for keeping them together.

To my mama, happy mother's day. I love you more than anything in the world.

To the seaman's wife
To the widow
To the mom who works double shifts
To the moms of OFW's
To the moms who are OFW's

And to all the single mothers, more power to you, and advance happy father's day to you as well.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author

Links to my sites are found on top - you know the drill.